Illinois Recycling Association
Social Media Internship
Founded in 1980, the Illinois Recycling Association is a state-wide membership organization that links individuals, businesses and government together to bring the environmental and economic benefits of waste reduction, reuse and recycling to the people of Illinois through education, policy development and collaborative events.
The Illinois Recycling Association seeks a creative and well-organized communications and media intern to support the development of our social media platform. The social media intern will be expected to participate in the planning, redesign and implementation of design changes to our website, monthly newsletter and Facebook page. The intern’s professional development will be enhanced through the collaborative oversight of local media and communications professionals that serve on the Association’s Media and Communications Committee.
The ideal candidate will have experience in WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite, with advanced posting/editing skills in social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The social media intern will be competent in: developing original content under supervision, writing and editing. Photo editing, file management and film editing experience are a plus. A portion of the internship requires administrative support, such as creating surveys and analyzing results, some note-taking, proofreading and archiving photos/videos.
Hours are flexible and will be determined based upon organizational needs and availability as well as pre-determined credit requirements of the candidate. A minimum of 3 months, 15 hours per week is required. The social media intern will have a telephone conference or weekly in-person meeting with the Communications and Media Committee. The Association may consider extending the internship based on performance.
- Excellent writing and editing, grammar skills. Experience creating both online and hard copy materials.
- Familiarity with social media applications such as Facebook, You Tube, Constant Contact, Twitter and Instagram
- Proficiency with computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Google docs, Outlook, WordPress or other web-publishing applications
- Must have your own computer and be able to work from home or a remote location
- Excellent organizational skills
- Positive outlook, can-do attitude, upbeat, creative. Ability to take direction but also to follow through, set and meet deadlines, prioritize tasks.
- A strong sense of professionalism
- Awareness and appreciation of recycling and sustainability issues is a plus
Send resume, cover letter and one letter of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following:
- Links to your social media and/or online portfolio
- Your credit requirements as they pertain to an internship
- Your schedule of available days/hours per week